WHY TRAIN WITH A HEART RATE MONITOR?
- Heart rate is an indicator of exercise intensity.
- Helps you understand your exercise intensity, which is calculated as a percentage of your maximum heart rate.
- When you train at the right intensity you get the result you’re looking for – weight loss, improving fitness or developing maximum performance and speed.
- Allows you to monitor and control the intensity of exercise.
- A heart rate monitor is particularly useful for those wanting to lose weight and burn fat - helps you to ensure that you are working at the correct intensity to burn the most calories.
- Maintain your motivation by quantifying your exercise sessions in terms of calories burned, minimum, maximum and average heart rate.
What is your maximum heart rate?
- Highest number of beats per minute (bpm) an individual can achieve when training.
- Maximum heart rate is unique to each individual and is based on age, fitness level, size and gender.
How do you calculate your maximum heart rate?
- Male: 220 – Age = Maximum heart rate for a 30 year old: 220 – 30 = 190
- Female: 226 – Age = Maximum heart rate for a 30 year old: 220 – 30 = 190
- For a 30 year old: 226 – 30 = 196
- Maximum heart rate is required to determine the training intensity which is shown as a % of maximum heart rate.
Understanding Heart Rate Zones
Things to consider when choosing a heart rate monitor
- What is your objective? Weight loss, Improve fitness or Maximize performance?
- Does it displays calories burned?
- Can you view minimum, maximum and average heart rate?
- Does it show the time spent in different heart rate zones?
- Does it keep a training summary of previous workouts?
- Can you view training information online?
- Is there an option to add other accessories (GPS, foot pod, speed/cadence sensors).
- Does it support a Fitness Test to measure aerobic fitness at rest to track your progress?
- Is there a Multi-sport option to change between run, bike and swim?
- Does it have water-resistant properties?
- Does it have a built-in GPS?
- Does it have good battery life?
https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/heart-rate-monitors-why-train-with-them?___store=swh 145637 Heart Rate Monitors - Why Train with Them? https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/media/catalog/product/h/e/heart_rate_monitors_-_why_train_with_them.jpg 0 ZAR InStock /Expert Advice/All Articles /Expert Advice/All Articles/Fitness & Exercise NOT LOGGED IN 0 0 add-to-cart General ZAR InStock Rewards Member ZAR InStock